Friday, August 8, 2008

The flight from you know where

Wednesday was possibly the longest day of my life. We woke up a 5:30 am as usual. I went to the office to take care of a few things, then Keat and I went to the hospital to visit baby James. After visiting Keat had to run some errands and I went home to finish packing. We picked up Laine from school on our way to the airport. When we arrived at the airport at 4:30 pm we found out that our flight was delayed from Chicago. So we walked around the airport and ate an early dinner. Around 6 PM, I realized that our flight was delayed another hour, which meant that we would miss our connection in Denver. So I left the terminal to talk to the one United employee at the ticket counter. He informed me that there weren't any flights on Thursday to Denver from Birmingham, so we would have to stay on the same delayed Thursday flight so that we could fly to Bozeman on Thursday. Apparently other passengers realized the additional delay displayed on the monitor but I hadn't. No announcement was made and no one was working at the gate. So we had to rebook our luggage so that we could get it in Denver that night. Keat found a hotel room in Denver. It didn't seem that bad at the time. Eventually we boarded the plane, taxied out to the runway and then the pilot said there was bad weather in Denver so we would have to return to the terminal to wait another 1 1/2 hours. At 9:30 PM on Wednesday, we finally left Birmingham. We arrived in Denver at 12:30 am. After getting our luggage, we paid a shuttle driver to take us to our hotel. Laine was such a trooper during the whole ordeal until the driver stopped 3 times and we didn't get off. When we finally arrived at our hotel at 1:30 am, she was already in tears, crying for milk, which we didn't have. Keat and I didn't sleep at all because Laine insisted that we all sleep in the same tiny double bed with her. She kicked the entire night.

On Thursday, we left for the airport at 8:45 AM, stood in the longest line to check in and security that I've ever seen and finally made it on the noon flight to Bozeman. We arrived at 1:45 PM Thursday, 13 hours later than we were supposed to.

Last night we had the rehearsal dinner at the Lucky Dog Lodge, the log cabin that my family is renting. There were lots of people there to celebrate Erik and Tricia getting married. These are a few pictures from our extended stay at the airport. Laine loved yelling "airplane" and listening to her music on the ipod.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I pray for an uneventful trip home.

Tell Tricia and Erik congrats!