In addition to the obvious changes in our lives recently, I found out that my contract job position will be ending in December. So I will be officially unemployed in January. I am currently searching for a company willing to hire a very pregnant part time temporary employee. In addition I am applying for faculty positions for when I graduate this summer. For those people unfamiliar with this process (probably everyone who reads this), it takes a long time. Faculty search committees typically take a year to find the right candidate. Point being, the time to apply is right now for a position that wouldn't start til August. In the meantime, my gracious boss is allowing me to keep my office space so that I can continue to work on my dissertation this spring. I am going to try to think of this as early maternity leave and I will be able to finish my dissertation before Davis arrives. Then I will have to defend my dissertation sometime in May or June. Twelve years in the making and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I need to start packing today for our trip to Texas. It has been really cold in Birmingham lately and even though my family and friends say it's cold in Austin, I know that means 60 degrees. I will be hot in my winter maternity wear so I am trying to figure out what to pack. I am also ready to eat my weight in Tex Mex and Thanksgiving food next week. My GI bug this past weekend caused me to lose 5 lbs. So I need to work on gaining that back.
No comments:
Post a Comment