Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lost and Found?

I have 2 dilemmas right now.

1. I accidentally left my new book, The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, on the airplane in Phoenix last week. Great book about a woman who had cervical cancer and her cells (later called HeLa) that changed science. They were used in the development of the polio vaccine and made many advancements in medicine over the past 50 years. This book is about the story behind HeLa cells and how her family didn't know they were taken from her without their permission. They were never compensated by scientists and private companies that eventually earned millions of dollars as a result of the HeLa discovery. The dilemma is that I hadn't finished reading the book! I want to know the end of the story, so do I buy a new book? I doubt the book is going to come back to me magically from Phoenix.

2. We lost a children's library book. Do I fess up and tell the library or let fines run up? It's not due back yet so I'm still hoping it turns up somewhere. I'm a little afraid that it was thrown away. The bad part is that it was one of 6 books in a set. They are "how to read" books by Scholastic. We were gathering other books and videos to return to the library when we discovered the missing 6th book.

2 comments:

Jolyn said...

My answers:
yes and yes

#1. Buy the book and read the end. Especially if you are interested! You can always cheat and buy a used copy for cheap on amazon.com

#2. Fess up to the library. I once had over $80 in fines - no fun. They may even refund your money if you find the book and return it.

Kathy said...

I agree with Jolyn, yes and yes!

#1 Maybe a very sweet aunt will get on line tomorrow and order it for you.

#2 Definitely fess up. I agree, those fines can be a booger.