Monday, October 25, 2010

Retraining a toddler



I may have failed to mention, other than to Nana, that Davis has not slept well for the past 6 weeks. Maybe I was trying to block it from my memory and hoping it would become a memory quickly. Well, poor Nana had to experience it while she was here for Laine's birthday. The little guy was sick several times with a fever virus, apparently I gave him TOO much attention and this little mama's boy became a little too attached to me. (ie, he couldn't soothe himself to sleep or back to sleep during the night). So in desperation, I took him back to the doctor on Friday. She gave me "permission" to retrain him to sleep. I decided to prepare him the best I could for his training sessions. I bought him footed pajamas, which he didn't really like. I bought him a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal, which he loved. He's holding it and saying "touchdown" in the picture below.



The first night he cried for 2 straight hours and woke up crying at 4 am but we did not go get him. The second night he only cried for 15 minutes. And last night he didn't even get up when we had a bad storm that was really loud. Laine has been temporarily displaced to the den on an inflatable mattress. She told me, "I like it back there, it's so quiet." Ha!

The retraining continues.... but I hope to make it only a memory soon.

No comments: