Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The fabric of our lives

Have you seen the commercials advertising cotton "the fabric of our lives"? Well, apparently my 2 yr old son has been watching and he truly enjoys his new found love of the fabric of our lives (ie, cotton underwear). The problem is that after spending an entire 3 day weekend potty training him, his day care (specifically his teachers) are not fully supportive of this latest achievement. I'm quite puzzled by this. Why would you want to change diapers all day instead of helping a little boy use the bathroom? He can pee on command, sit on furniture without incident, go on walks, ride in a car seat, etc. This should be celebrated. Instead, his teachers and day care director want him to wear pull ups! Really?

I am firmly against him wearing them because in my opinion if it looks like a diaper, smells like a diaper, and feels like a diaper, then to him it's a DIAPER! But to me, it's a glorified, more expensive diaper and sends a very confusing message. I didn't send him wearing just underwear, I sent him with plastic covers over his underwear. He is completely potty trained at home and I understand that this may take a little time at day care, but pull ups are not the solution to the problem. I should be rejoicing in this joyous occasion in my son's life, not feeling pressured to do something that is more convenient to them. That is exactly the point, it's not convenient to stop what you are doing to go to the bathroom but I do it because I'm not wearing a diaper.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sorry for the ridiculousness! We're excited for you and for Davis and I'm sure the teachers at his next school will be, too!