Thursday, October 2, 2008

Financial Peace University

Keat and I decided to take a Fall class at Canterbury called Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey. We started at the beginning of September and have been preparing for our first month of sticking to our budget. Dave Ramsey is teaching us to thinking differently about money and how not to live in a world of excess. Interesting topic considering our country's financial crisis right now. So we had a family budget committee meeting on Monday night and spent the entire October budget in an Excel spreadsheet down to $4. Now starts the real challenge- actually following through. It may take a few months to work through the kinks, but I'm sure we can do it.

On a related side note- Gramma has been coming over to take care of Laine on Tuesday nights while we go to church but this week she was out of town so she had to go to the nursery. Let's just say we will not be able to do that again. The workers let the kids (all under age 3) watch a video for 2 hours. This resulted in Laine bouncing off the walls and did not go to bed until almost 9 PM on Tuesday night, way past her bed time. You would think that she could compensate and sleep later but it doesn't work like that. She still wakes up early but ends up being grouchy. So I guess we will trade off who stays home with her to put her to bed on the days that Gramma can't come over.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I have a friend from Dell that did FPU with her husband prior to leaving Dell to be a stay at home mom. I remember the first month being tricky, but after that it became away of life and the budgeting became easy to follow!

I think I am going to sign up and do the online courses... I could certainly stand to learn a thing or two. :)